Friday, February 4, 2011

Trust

Definition of Trust by Dictionary.com (noun):  Reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc. of a person or thing; confidence.

As a follow-up to yesterday's post on Freedom, one of the many lessons I learned from my negative experiences during my career is that one shouldn't trust others so readily.  In the past, I assumed people were as good as they seemed to be and trusted them accordingly.  Trust is a gift to be bestowed on those that prove themselves worthy of that gift.

While I am still the professional I have always been I am less believing of others' integrity, particularly when they lack the skills and knowledge that their job demands.  If they are lacking in obvious areas they will feel insecure about their own abilities against those of others - and that doesn't always bode well for talented professionals that work with or for them.

I am neither bitter nor distrustful of people but I am more neutral in my approach to people I don't know very well.  As Nietzsche said "I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now I can't believe you."

What I gained in the process is complete trust and confidence in myself.  I also trust in my ability to create my future by focusing on the present.  And, I continue to be fascinated by the changing nature of  life and the surprises it brings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment