Thursday, February 17, 2011

Purpose and Meaning



In my February 3rd post on Freedom, I write about Einstein’s question on whether the universe is a friendly or unfriendly place.  I answer his question by saying that, in my experience, it is mostly friendly and sometimes hostile and I make that comment in the context of some of my professional dealings with people. In my February 9th post on Avatars I also question the appropriate use of technology and state that technology may be used very effectively for the good of society but that I also believe that much is lost in translation when it replaces human interactions.  These are topics that are perennially in my mind along with others.

In the blogosphere, I came upon a summary of an interview a reporter had with Einstein where thoughts on this topic are further elaborated (no source was provided).  I am sharing it to provide more depth to Einstein’s question.  The interview also informs my own questions related to the universe and technology in my referenced posts and expands further to other areas worth thinking about.  Here is a summary of the interview:

Albert Einstein was approached by a reporter during an interview and asked something to the effect of, "Dr. Einstein, you are recognized around the world as one of the most bona fide geniuses of our century, maybe of human history. Your scope of thinking has covered the workings of the universe from the tiny atom to the cosmos. You have seen your discoveries both evolve and enrich, and also mutilate and destroy the human life you so highly value. What, in your opinion is the most important question facing humanity today?"

Characteristically, Einstein stared off into space for a moment, and then looked down at the ground in front of him. Finally he looked back at the reporter and replied, "I think the most important question facing humanity is, ‘Is the universe a friendly place?’ This is the first and most basic question all people must answer for themselves.

"For if we decide that the universe is an unfriendly place, then we will use our technology, our scientific discoveries and our natural resources to achieve safety and power by creating bigger walls to keep out the unfriendliness and bigger weapons to destroy all that which is unfriendly—and I believe that we are getting to a place where technology is powerful enough that we may either completely isolate or destroy ourselves as well in this process.

"If we decide that the universe is neither friendly nor unfriendly and that God is essentially ‘playing dice with the universe’, then we are simply victims to the random toss of the dice and our lives have no real purpose or meaning.


"But if we decide that the universe is a friendly place, then we will use our technology, our scientific discoveries and our natural resources to create tools and models for understanding that universe. Because power and safety will come through understanding its workings and its motives."

(End of Interview)

What is fascinating about Einstein’s thoughts is that he places the burden of the answer to the question of whether the world is an unfriendly or friendly place on how we think about the universe.

I will read more about Einstein and continue this discussion with more information but seems to me that he is saying what we have learned in the past few decades, that our thinking creates reality.  My interpretation of this interview with Einstein is that he believes that the power of the mind alone and how we think about the universe is causal, it determines actual outcomes in terms of technology isolating and destroying us or we use the power of technology to understand the universe and are safe as a result of that understanding.

I choose to take the optimistic stance in thinking that the universe is friendly with the caveat that there is a small group of people in the universe that are downright unfriendly.

I also don’t believe that God is “playing dice with the universe” but rather it is our work while on earth to figure out what is our purpose and then concentrate on fulfilling that purpose – whatever that may be.

Per my post yesterday, Spiritual Teachers, one of my missions in life is to be a teacher and that is expressed in different ways.  I am also focusing on figuring out other reasons for being…I know there must be others.

What is your purpose in life?  What gives meaning to your life?

3 comments:

  1. I also take the positive stance...But I feel that GOD is friendly because her/his own reason..Sometime back I tried to answer the ULTIMATE Q. And wrote a post on my blog (Or rather created the blog for the purpose of this post).

    Think you might be interested. The web address is
    http://definitelyyouare.blogspot.com/

    In case you visit the Blog please leave the comment if it makes sense or even if its complete bullshit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anonymous, for your comment on what is a very important topic for me. I will definitely check your blog tomorrow and give you some feedback as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alexis,
    Thanks for your comment on the blog...I realised form your response that the concept(or sould I say reality) of soul is actually missing from my article...I would have to reserch some more to incluse the concept, or may be I will write a post on the reality of soul...
    In any case I will get back to you...
    Thanks again for the comment.

    ReplyDelete