Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Speaking for Change


There is much that is left unspoken by all of us in many aspects of our lives. The mere act of speaking is a catalyst for change just as the act of not speaking perpetuates the existence of what must change.  The objective of speaking for change is two-fold:  one, we accelerate change within ourselves by being able to speak up for what we believe which is very empowering; second, our voice may be the one voice that is heard and that ultimately causes change to occur on behalf of others.

In a way, our voice strengthens the collective unconscious; it moves those eternal truths to the forefront of consciousness for the greater good.  Jung defines the collective unconscious as follows:

“The collective unconscious is a part of the psyche which can be negatively distinguished from a personal unconscious by the fact that it does not, like the latter, owe its existence to personal experience and consequently is not a personal acquisition. While the personal unconscious is made up essentially of contents which have at one time been conscious but which have disappeared from consciousness through having been forgotten or repressed, the contents of the collective unconscious have never been in consciousness, and therefore have never been individually acquired.”

What Jung says is that the collective unconscious predates the individual.  It is the repository of all the religious, mythological, and mythological symbols and experiences that we inherit.  The collective unconscious' primary structures  – deeply ingrained in the psyche – are what Jung called “Archetypes”.   Jung stated that psychologically, the archetypes were the conceptual matrixes or patters behind all our religious and mythological concepts, as well as our thinking processes in general.

I believe that is true of Archetypes as well as of spiritual truths such as Justice, Love, Purity, etc., etc.  How do we know what to strive for since, for example, there is no such thing as perfect justice in our planet?   As humans, some of us do our best to strive towards justice but somehow we find out there is no justice after all.  There is something that we can call "justice" that is man made and appears as being just.  How do we that there is no perfect justice and also internally know that it exists?

This is a topic I think a lot about.  In fact, I started rereading the Phaedo because Socrates talks about it in the context of the immortality of the soul; I read the Dialogues by Plato in college and it was the first time I started thinking about this subject.  Hopefully, I’ll have more insights once I finish it.   It's one of those puzzles that fascinates me and that I want to reconstruct to satisfy my curiosity.

My belief that we move the consciousness of the universe by speaking up for noble and good causes as well as for our individual truths is something I will not be able to prove. However, I will spend a bit of time building a stronger theory around that belief - for my own enrichment.  Knowing is stronger than my desire to prove it but I want to explore it intellectually.  It will be fun.

In the meantime, will continue to speak my truth.  It's very difficult.  Fortunately for me, it's harder for me not to speak up.  It helps to believe that I am moving consciousness forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment