Friday, March 11, 2011

Best Hotdog in New York




I went to Walter's in Mamaroneck, N.Y., last week-end.  My parents moved the family from Bronxville, N.Y., to Mamaroneck where we lived there for a few years before I started working and moved to Scarsdale.

Walter's is an institution.  What's most fun - and that I remember from when I lived in Mamaroneck - is that people have been writing from all over the world for years to say things like "I am in Paris, have had wonderful meals but can't wait to get back and have a hotdog from Walter's!". While you wait in line for your hotdog, you can read all the crazy postcards from Walter's customers writing from Vietnam, Hong Kong, Chile, etc., etc.

I have never written to Walter's from Paris or Brussels or any other city for that matter but truth be told, that's the very best hotdog I have ever eaten!  I usually don't eat hotdogs as I know they are very unhealthy.  I don't even want to know what Walter's hotdogs are made of...but they taste so good!  They grill the hotdog first so the casing is crunchy when you bite into it and they make their own mustard which I think is a combination of mustard and relish.  It is not a spicy mustard but has a special taste of its own which is addictive and very yuuuummmy!  I confess I ate two hotdogs last Friday and enjoyed every single bite!

I should add that all of my family moved out of Mamaroneck years ago but whenever anyone is within 60 minutes of Mamaroneck, we make it a point to go back to Walter's.  I typically go about once a year.  We have also initiated friends from other countries and states into this wonderful hotdog experience!  This is the only place I have eaten hotdogs in years because I know how unhealthy they are and I usually avoid them.  I mostly eat healthy food as that makes me feel better overall.  I only made an exception once when I tried one of Pink's hotdogs in Los Angeles.  I thought that I should try one of their famous hotdogs to compare to Walter's.  Walter's won hands down!!!  Sorry, Pink's!

In case you want to go, it's on Palmer Avenue, right in front of the back of Mamaroneck High School.  You can get there by train (Grand Central Station, Metro North) to New Haven which makes a stop in Mamaroneck or drive from Manhattan for about 40 minutes on 95 South.  Definitely worth the trip!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment