Friday, April 29, 2011

Think Big





In my January 21st post, Around the Corner, I discuss how surprises are around the corner and that one should expect the best. I also believe that as one goes through life one must think big.  In all regards.

One should think big about what is possible whether it's related to our professional or personal lives.  I probably wrote in an earlier post how people that worked for me knew that there were two words that were banned from our meetings:  one was "impossible" and the other was "problem".   That was - and is - my way of not limiting my thoughts in any way.

I have glimpses of infinity within myself.  It gives me a sense of possibilities which is a more comfortable place for me to be than in any other place.  If I had more time to meditate (which I do every day for about one hour and yet I find it's not enough)  I would probably be able to glimpse that state of being in a more profound way.

If we go as far as our imagination takes us - which is limitless - we could probably achieve more in our lives.  There was a short period during a tough period in my career - when I was working for someone that was mentally ill - that I didn't believe I had many options.  I felt I was constantly walking at the side of an abyss and that I could fall into it at any point.  It was a scary way to think about my life and it lasted for almost a year.  I don't recall how I shifted my thinking to see that there were in fact options I could pursue.  Once I did that I not only got out of a self-destructive frame of mind but was able to escape from a department led by an insane boss.   The best part of that experience is that I rarely go into that limited way of thinking now and I focus my energy on thinking big.

A case in point is how I'm tackling my job search.  There are well-meaning friends that send me jobs I am overqualified for and where the scope of work entails doing things I did early on on my career.   They believe I am desperate but I'm not there yet.  In fact, my brother asked me yesterday whether I was getting desperate.  I'm stressed and impatient.  I'm not desperate.  Being desperate would mean to me that I've lost hope and there is nothing else that I can do.

So before getting to the point of despair I think big.  I am even thinking of creating my own company.  I haven't turned the corner yet so don't know what awaits me once I go around the corner.   Until I get there,  I will  continue to think big.




No comments:

Post a Comment