Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Being open

One of the most inspiring people I had the fortune to come across is Joseph Campbell.   He wrote seminal books on the connection and power of myths in our daily lives and culture and also communicated his extensive knowledge and wisdom through many televised lectures (if you don't know about it, you may find more about his thoughts at The Joseph Campbell Foundation, at http://www.jcf.org/new/index.php).  Here is a quote from him:

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us."

I have been thinking about this topic quite a bit.  It is about being open to anything in life which sometimes is very challenging.  Sometimes we get caught up in the "better the devil we know" syndrome than venturing into the unknown.  I have come to the conclusion that there is much, much, more to gain from embracing and anticipating the unknown with excitement.  Yes, sometimes staying in bed all day seems a very attractive proposition, not having to face the world and its complexity.

However, making life an adventure is what allows us to experience it fully and grow.  I spent several years in one of the premier global companies with headquarters in New York.  It had the most inspiring set of principles as its guiding banner which most employees adhered to for several decades.  The majority of my colleagues were admirable, very smart, competent, honest and straightforward.  I met some of my dearest friends there with whom I am still in touch. I left this company for a few reasons beyond my control - which included helping a family member with a terminal illness - and I was forced to face the world in a new way.  I also was "helped"out of the company by someone that had a personal agenda, someone that unfortunately felt threatened by other people's abilities and competence but that's another post.

Since then, I have had professional success but most importantly, I expanded who I was to be a more courageous, compassionate, humble, understanding human being...a much better person although I am still working on myself.  I have gained immensely as a person although I still miss this amazing company and the people in it.  In fact, it is one of the companies where I would like to work for next although I am ready and open for anything new as well.

There is a brave new world out there and I am looking forward for it to reveal itself to me!









2 comments:

  1. Your posts are so inspiring Alexis,
    thank you!
    I love that when I read you I remember about the important things, today, courage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, glad you are getting something out of the posts!

    ReplyDelete