Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ode to Richard Serra: Infinite Space

Richard Serra (American, b. 1939). “Institutionalized Abstract Art, 1976/2011.” Collection of the artist ©
(This was my favorite piece in the exhibition although I loved all of it!). 


Art inspires me deeply.  When someone creates anything that inspires, moves and touches that part of me that is perfect, the part of me that is divine...that is art for me.  And we all have a part within us that is pure and divine.

Speaking of definitions, I saw a Richard Serra exhibition today at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Richard Serra Drawing:  A Retrospective.  Richard Serra is one of those multi-talented, brilliant artists that defies definition.  The first contemporary art exhibition in the grande dame of museums in the United States, the Metropolitan Museum of Art,  has ever exhibited is the Richard Serra exhibition.  I had seen some of his sculptures in the past and I love his work.  I had never seen his work on paper until today.

This exhibition made a huge impact on me.  So deep it's hard to put into words. I have seen other works by painters such as de Kooning and Pollock in black and white.  My own humble drawings are also in black and white so that alone resonates strongly with me. There is something about the contrast of white against black and black against white which leaves limitless space in between.

Richard Serra is beyond impressive...to give you a sense of how infinite he is, he says:

"If I define a work and sum it up within the boundary of definition given my intention, that seems to be a limitation on me and an imposition on other people on how to think about the work.  It has nothing to do with my activity or art.  The significance of the work is in its effort not in its intention and that effort is a state of mind, an activity, an interaction of the world." (I may not be quoting exactly, I looked at a book in passing.  I have to get it. It's called Richard Serra Drawing: A Retrospective, Menil Collection).

Something else he said as he described the San Francisco shipyard where his father worked as a pipe-fitter as another important influence to his work, “All the raw material that I needed is contained in the reserve of this memory which has become a reoccurring dream." What Richard Serra says is like poetry to me.  I understand it.

His thoughts speak to my soul.  His work speaks to my soul.  Thank you, Richard Serra!

We may be from the same planet.  So happy to know I'm not alone.

Beyond Representation, Venice Notebook 2001, Richard Serra


If you are hungry for more as I am, below is a URL you may paste in your browser of a video where Richard Serra is interviewed by Charlie Rose.  By the way, Richard Serra was born in San Francisco.  His father was from Spain and his mother was from Russia.  His background is as vast as his thoughts.  Please note in this video the breadth of Richard's thoughts - and his emphasis on the "process of making".  And, when he talks about a "pipe fitter", he knows what he's talking about, his father was one.  Isn't it fascinating how what we are exposed to during our childhood shapes much of our future?

http://youtu.be/ngJeTA4CUSA



Note:  For my U..S readers, there is a  PBS program on Richard Serra this coming Sunday, July 7th, noon, Eastern Daylight Time.  What a treat!

Update:  If July 7th date has passed, please go to www. pbs.org to see if you can watch the video.


No comments:

Post a Comment