Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Puzzles of Existence



There is a special love and beauty to the relationship between real friends that is more profound than in most relationships.  In some ways we save each other, we rescue each other along the way.  There is a comfort, an ease with those real friends that is maybe grounded in the knowing that the relationship is  meant to be.   With some friends, it seems that we have known each other forever.  Who knows what was at play when we met?  Is it a soul we made a contract with ahead of coming to this earth to accompany us in this lifetime?  How did we find each other?  How did we get so lucky?

Apparently, there are two questions that souls are asked in Egyptian mythology ahead of entering heaven:  first, did you have joy in your life; second, did you give joy to others?  My answer to the first question would be that yes, I did have joy in my life and to the second question, I would also answer yes.  I believe I have given joy to others.  Certainly not to everybody but I believe I have given joy to some of my colleagues, friends, and family.

It would be good if what people remember about me is how I made them laugh and enjoy a light moment or how I made them think in a different way about themselves and their lives.  That's important to me.  In the end, I will be completely forgotten once I die and my family and friends join me in the other side.  There is no immortality in the true sense of the word on earth.  Not in words that are left behind or in statues built for posterity or in successful projects that last decades.  After time goes by, our names are only names that have no meaning.  What we leave behind is a feeling in those that love us that there is eternal love and that we existed and they knew us and our essence at some point.  It is in the memory of others' hearts that we exist until those people don't exist anymore.

I know we exist in spirit forever.  It's just a different phase of our existence. There is definitely immortality of our soul and spirit.  That's a wonderful thing to know.

It would be nice to figure it all out, wouldn't it?  I have a feeling it will all make sense one day, either here on earth or somewhere else.

Sometimes I get glimpses of perfect order in the universe - I am eager to figure it all out.    

“There is a point where in the mystery of existence contradictions meet; where movement is not all movement and stillness is not all stillness; where the idea and the form, the within and the without, are united; where infinite becomes finite, yet not”
 Rabindranath Tagore





   

No comments:

Post a Comment