Friday, May 13, 2011

Inspiration




Inspiration comes from all kinds of sources.  If I am meditating, reading, or just paying attention to what is around me  I may be inspired.  I may even have a dream that I remember and that elicits some new thoughts.  Einstein used to compare the process of creating to laying eggs.   Once I am ready, I start laying eggs.  Certainly most mundane activities that would fall in the category of “doing” – with some rare exceptions - get in the way of having the mental space to be inspired.   For the most part, I come up with new ideas when I am in a state of “being”.   Maybe my antennas are better tuned to getting messages from above then, who knows?

One of the areas I am focused on is in creating a company.  The challenge is that I have two ideas for two different companies, one is how to leverage technology that is already developed by a brilliant computer scientist and come up with a future phase for this technology and the other one is an idea that is harder to articulate at this stage.   I need time to ponder about it.   For now, I am just focusing on ideas for only one of the companies.   It’s almost a full time job.  I say almost because I am also looking for a job – another full time job.

I haven’t had the time to think too much – I usually need time by myself to develop ideas.  Not having a lot of time for that frustrates me to no end.  I am usually torn between maintaining strict discipline in carving out time for me to “think” with the million other things I have to get done  (paying bills, reconciling checking and credit card accounts, etc., etc.).  It’s somewhat easier to curtail my social life because I give preference to my close friends and family - when my acquaintances invite me somewhere, I say “no” more easily.

I call it “thinking” time but it’s not so much thinking as letting ideas flow and take shape in my mind.  There is a more fluid and creative wave of energy going on than just using the left side of the brain to think something through. It’s an interesting process because even though it’s natural and it flows, there are stages to it.  It’s hard to analyze, I just know that the pieces of the puzzle come together and the vision emerges.

So that’s the challenge in the next few days.  To make sure I have the time to just “be”.

Who knows what may come out of that?

“Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labour in freedom.”
Albert Einstein


No comments:

Post a Comment